Friday, August 19, 2011

HypnoBirthing: Part 2

So in my first HypnoBirthing post I talked about why I wanted a natural, medication-free birth and why I've chosen HypnoBirthing as a way to help me do that. But the biggest question I get really is, "So what exactly is HypnoBirthing?"

HypnoBirthing, also known as The Mongan Method, is both a philosophy and a technique. It is philosophically rooted in the belief that 1) Women's bodies are physiologically capable of birthing. Pregnancy is not an illness, and birth is a normal, natural event. And 2) Fear increases tension, and tension increases pain. The HypnoBirthing technique teaches you to let go of any fears you have associated with birthing, and to relax your body and release any tension that could contribute to pain. It's something you do yourself. I'm not sitting there in a chair looking at some watch being waved in front of my face or something ridiculous like that. I'm not asleep, and I'm not in some kind of daze. I'm totally aware and in control. What some people compare it to is that feeling of getting lost in a good movie or a good book- you're so focused on something that you don't really pay attention to anything else and time just kind of goes away. It involves a lot of imagery, deep breathing, and positioning. And Robbie has learned a lot of things he can do to help me stay calm and to help me help my body to relax. I practice everyday- I work on getting myself to let go and relax (well... at least I try to do it every day.)

If nothing else, HypnoBirthing has taught me a wonderful way of dealing with my anxiety. I still have what I call my "anxious days" but since I started doing this they've been fewer and farther in between, which I'm sure Robbie and my mom are both grateful for :) And I like to think Lauren loves HypnoBirthing too! She's often pretty active and bouncy when I start one of my relaxation sessions, and by the end it's like she's gotten all relaxed and fallen asleep. Gosh I can't wait to meet this girl!

Anyway! So that's HypnoBirthing. I hope I answered some of the questions everyone has had! And I hope you don't think I'm totally out in left field or a crazy hippie or something. Although you might be a little right about the hippie part ;)

No comments: