Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Oops

Thinkstock Single Image Set
You know, they say you're supposed to look straight ahead when you're walking so as a)to appear confident and b)not to run into anything. I do not suggest this idea. I suggest looking down and paying attention to what you are stepping in.

Yesterday Jessica and I were at the mall. We were talking and walking around when suddenly I was on my butt with pain shooting up my left arm. Someone had spilled a milkshake (we think thats what it was at least?) and I had stepped in it, slipped in it, and was now sitting in it. It was lovely. But just wait, this story gets better.

I guess I locked my elbow when I landed... bad idea. At first I thought I had broken my wrist cuz I couldn't move it and I was suddenly having gymnastics-pains flashbacks. Then I realized the majority of the pain was in my elbow. This is when I decided to stand up. I don't know if I stood up too quickly or if it was from the force of hitting the ground so hard with my joints locked up... but I started seeing spots... more and more of them until a few seconds later I couldn't see anything at all and Jess was taking me into the nearest store to sit down. I was only dizzy for a few minutes. The dizziness went away, but my arm was now killing me.

So... we went downstairs to let the mall people (not sure what their actual title is... so I'm calling them the mall people) know I had slipped on some crap upstairs and hurt myself. They then call security who come and ask me a bunch of questions and then decide- because I had been dizzy and couldn't see temporarily- to call the paramedics. Yes, the paramedics. The ones with the ambulance.

I felt a little ridiculous. They (and by they I mean the entire paramedic team, like 5 of them)came and assessed me and told me I was probably fine but they would take me to the hospital if I wanted. Spending the night before my NCLEX exam in the emergency department is so not my idea of destressing before my stressful test, so I said no thanks and went home. By the time I got home my head was starting to hurt so I took more ibuprofen then I've ever taken at one time in my life (which was still only like 600mg, but that was still a lot for me)in an effort to not have a tension headache that could possibly hold over through the most important test of my nursing career thus far. thankfully, in combination with heat packs for my head and ice packs for my arm, it worked!

My test was this morning (that will have to be another post though) and I didn't have a headache! :) My shoulder really hurts today, but other then that I am fine! I just have a fun little story to tell :)

So, moral of the story...
1. Look down when you're walking so you don't step in something you'd rather not be stepping in
2. If you fall down, don't lock the joints you're using to brace your fall. It hurts.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm sorry! that doesn't sound fun at all, but i'm glad you were ok for your test! i want to hear all about it :)

Rach Williams said...

You have to let me know the minute you find out. I hope it went welL!

Jeff and Sheryl Family said...

I can't believe that happened! Oh my gosh! Are you okay?? Why do you think it gave you a headache? Were you covered in junk? Oh my gosh, Ashlee! I can't believe that happened the day before your test! I'm so sorry! I've seen the spots before, and if I don't sit down, or lay down quick, I faint. So good thing you sat down!