Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Why Do They Hate Me?

(First of all, if you're not familiar with the nursing field, let me explain something. Just as there is with everything else, there's a food chain in nursing. It goes like this: CNA (nurse assistant)--> LPN (Licenced Practical Nurse)--> RN (Registered Nurse) --> BSN (bachelors degree nurse) --> MSN (masters degree nurse). Yeah... an RN is an associates degree, but it takes like 5 years to get it. Don't get me started on that. Some people go from not even being a part of the hierarchy straight to the top. Other people go through all of the steps. It doesn't mean their education is ANY DIFFERENT WHATSOEVER, it just means they stopped to get the various licences along the way. And of course, most people stop some where along the way.)

Okay I'm frustrated. And I need to rant. May I remind you, no one is making you read this, lol. But here it goes.

I'm an LPN. Not an RN, but still a nurse. I'm working on my RN, and hopefully by this time next year, I'll have accomplished that goal. This is just a step I decided to take on my way to becoming an RN. What bothers me is the dean of the nursing program I am currently in doesn't think I should be allowed to try. The ONLY reason I can is because they had the LPN to RN program before she became the dean. However, she's trying to do away with the program I'm in. She doesn't believe LPN's should even exist. She doesn't even believe RN's should exist. It's her opinion that a BSN should be the only acceptable entry into the nursing field. And she's not the only one who feels that way. The majority of the faculty at the university I'm at feel the same, and have no problems with treating the LPN's in the program as if our intelligence just isn't quite up to the same level as the other students- many of whom have never even been a nurse's aid by the way and know NOTHING about nursing. Nevermind that when the professor asks us (LPN's) a question in class, clearly thinking it's going to be difficult to answer, we're able to give long detailed answers, and able to back them up as well. I'm tired of the surprised look on my teachers faces when I can answer a question. They EXPECT me to be stupid, and they treat me that way. It wouldn't be a big deal if they treated EVERYONE that way, but its just the LPN's.
Okay fine, so you don't think LPN's should exist. So you won't let them in your program to continue their education and become RN's (or get their BSN if thats what you're demanding)? That seems a little counter productive doesn't it? They treat the other nursing students- who are either CNA's or nothing at all, with more respect than they treat me. I'm not asking to be treated better, just to be treated the same.
I guess I just don't see why people are so anti-LPN anyway. I can do EVERYTHING an RN can do, with the exception of IV's. If I take an "IV-certification course" I can even do that, and then there really isn't a difference between an LPN and an RN other than the letters (and by the way, there is absolutely no difference between an RN and a BSN whatsoever. they don't even get paid more. A BSN just takes longer, and looks better. ).
Anyway, it just bothers me that all of my teachers are so against me. And they are actively trying to keep other LPN's out of the program. It's so frustrating.

4 comments:

Rach Williams said...

Ummm.... I agree with every single thing you said!!

Mary said...

I didn't get into details with her, but I was talking to a friend in our ward and she said stick with it, it is so worth it. she loves being a nurse, like you do. I have great admiration for you for all you do.

Shayna said...

I have no input, but my friend just graduated with his BSN and I've listened to his complaints for 4 yrs, lol!
Good luck Ashley. Tell them to shove it!

Christopher and Jana said...

I'm sorry Ash..I LOVE YOU!