Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Time for an Update

Okay so I guess it isn't all that surprising that I haven't been posting a whole lot lately, but that doesn't mean I haven't been trying! lol. Lauren is amazing, and goodness does she keep me busy! Here's a little update on how we're doing:

Breastfeeding. I am SO happy (seriously, underline that.. SOOO HAPPY) to say we finally got the hang of it. Lauren is latching now without problem! Heaven bless lactation consultants!


Sleep. Oh boy. I know it's important to help her develop good sleeping habits. But after three weeks of rocking her to sleep, laying her down, and starting all over again within 2 minutes because she wakes up the moment you set her down.... I gave up. Swaddling didn't work. Not swaddling didn't work. Nor did music, or no music. Or so many other things we tried. Robbie and I were both just so tired. There were a few times I just sat in the rocking chair holding her and cried with her because I was just. so. tired. And so was she! But I learned something about my sweet girl... she's a tummy sleeper. Lay her on her back, and she's awake and crying within a minute. Lay her down on her tummy... and she'll sleep for at least 4 hours. 4 HOURS, YOU GUYS! I know, I know. BACK TO SLEEP. Babies are so much safer sleeping on their back. Which is why I am super anxious and check on her repeatedly when she's napping. I don't know what it is about nighttime though... sometimes she'll let me lay her down on her tummy... but more often than not, she won't let me lay her down at all. So the last couple of weeks Lauren and I have spent more than a few nights with her sleeping on my chest. If she's going to insist on sleeping on her stomach all night long, I'd rather her be as close to me as possible, and she insists on it anyway :) I love my little cuddlebug, but I'm afraid I'm creating a seriously difficult toddler bedtime situation. But our little bathtime, eat, fall asleep on Mommy and stay there for the next 5 hours routine is meaning I'm sleeping too right now!! And it feels soooo good. How do I give that up?

Growing. Lauren is growing like crazy! She fits her newborn clothes now, and has even outgrown a few of them! She has tiny little rolls on her arms and legs and this absolutely darling little double chin and cheeks. She smiles (well, she's been doing that since birth), she holds her head up, rolls over, and makes all kinds of happy and mad noises. There's nothing I love more than watching her grow, but it's just so fast. Is everything going to feel like it's going by so fast now? I don't know how to remember all the things I want to remember about this wonderful newborn stage, but I'm sure going to try.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I know it's bad, but Ethan is a stomach sleeper too, and we just gave up and now he sleeps that way. I pray every night that he'll be safe, and he has been! But yes, it is nerve racking,and I still check, but I need my sleep, or I'd really be a wreck and wouldn't be able to take care of anyone. Glad the BF is going good. The sleep routine will come! you're doing great!

Christopher and Jana said...

Baby Lolo! So sweet! You'll get the sleep thing down, sometimes it just takes longer than you want/think!