Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The ER

I thought after I graduated in December life would get so much easier! Apparently not. I plan to continue on with my BSN, meaning 2 more semesters before I am done forever. But I'll already be an RN, so the hard part should be over, yes? The director of the nursing program came to talk to us last week about what to expect for the next year. Over the two semesters we will have THREE classes that EACH have a 90 HOUR clinical component. Seriously. SERIOUSLY. The first will be in January, the other two in the fall. Awesome! As if I wasn't sick of clinicals already, once I'm an RN I get 270 more hours of fun, following around another RN! Pointless? YES.

Oh, I understand this picture has nothing whatsoever to do with the post. I just like it :)

Speaking of clinicals, I had my first preceptored clinical in the emergency department last weekend. Uncomfortable? Definately. Terrifying? Heck yeah. Here's some of the highlights... I successfully put in an IV (yay me), did a blood draw, gave lots of shots, saw lots and lots of sore throats (whoo hoo), and did compressions in a cardiac arrest!!! I now know from experience just how right people are when they say doing compressions is a workout. I also learned that I am way too short to successfully do compressions for someone laying on a bed while I am standing next to it. I had to climb up on the bed, lol. So yes, I would say my first night in the ER was rather eventful. It was more than enough to scare the heck out of me for the days when I will be in the ER on my own... which is only a few weeks away. Oh and I'd just like to say, when you're not getting paid, 12 hours is a long time.

1 comment:

Rach Williams said...

I read every single word of this post and loved it. You're a kick-ass nurse!!