Saturday, April 10, 2010

I heart the NICU.

I am officially done with clinicals this semester!! My last clinical was today and I was in the NICU! The NICU in this hospital is HUGE. And quite frankly, amazing.
I got to see a baby on an ECMO machine, which is really a rather amazing piece of technology. ECMO stands for Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, basically a bedside heart-lung bypass. The machine removes the blood, oxygenates it and cleans it, and returns it to the body. Seriously freaking amazing.
Anyway, I really did love it. I'm definately thinking that if I am going to work in the hospital, I'd really like to be a peds nurse or a neonatal nurse. And working in the NICU would be one of the coolest jobs ever. Especially a NICU like that.

Anyway! I am so done with clinicals until OCTOBER! so excited about that! I celebrated by taking a nap :)