Monday, July 6, 2009

Have I Mentioned the Need for Healthcare Reform Recently? :)

You know, I'm tired of hearing about how awful a public health option would be. To me, the MOST important part of health care is treating patients. All patients. Even those who can't pay for it. Which is the FAR majority of people, including myself. Otherwise what's the point? Picking and choosing who to treat based on money is just evil.

"But Canada's health care system is horrible! You have to wait for x number of weeks/months/years just to see a doctor/have a procedure done/etc! We don't want that!" First of all, Obama's plan is not the Canadian health care system. Second, if ALL we had was national healthcare, then waits for things like rhinoplasty and breast augmentation might be a little longer (And come on, we're a capitalistic society. If you're that rich and want your boob job that badly, I'm sure you could offer your surgeon a little extra money and get it next week). But suggesting the inevitability of long waits in critical care situations is just ridiculous. It's not going to happen. It's called triaging. It happens in hospitals every day in America. It's why your wait in the ER in AMERICA is as long as it is. Those with scratchy throats wait longer than those with chest pain. Annoying for the person with the scratchy throat, but life saving for the individual with chest pain. Thats just the way it is, and the way it should be. After all, if it was your loved one having a heart attack, wouldn't you want them seen immediately- even if they had to "cut in line" ahead of the person with strept throat who'd been waiting two hours? Of course.

"But I don't want my taxes to increase just to pay for someone else's health insurance!!" Seriously? I'd say thats quite selfish. You know it pays for YOUR healthcare too, right? When the day comes that you or someone in your family needs a serious surgery, and of course I pray that that day doesn't come, but if it does... would you rather have to pay 20% of it, like many insurances require? (or whatever your particular policy requires?) 20% of thousands and thousands of dollars is still a lot of money. And remember, this isn't national healthcare we're talking about! With Obama's plan, you'll STILL have the option to pay 20% to your private health insurance company if you so desire!

Anyway, I'm just sick of hearing about everything the Republicans are doing to try and stop this. It's more than frustrating, its angering. This article at CNN is really good though. It really is impartial. It's mostly about waits for healthcare in Canada. Which let me say again, is STILL not what we're (democrats) suggesting is implemented here. But if you insist on thinking it is, I highly recommend checking it out. Also, if you'd like to actually learn more about what Obama wants for health care reform, (I mean REALLY learn about it. As in not from FOX news, or even MSNBC), I suggest going to www.healthreform.gov I have a link to that here as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Democrats have some good ideas and so do the Republicans. Hopefully we can get a good compromise, as they neither of them have all the answers. Thank goodness we live in a democracy where we can all express our views and opinions.